North American Cultural Studies
- Mi 18:15-19:45, Raum C 301 (außer vac) .ics: Termin Mi 18:15-19:45 in den Kalender importieren
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all winter term classes will be taught online.
This course is eligible as follows: Master North American Studies: Literature and Culture:
- Grundlagenmodul / Basic Module Cultural Studies 1 Master The Americas / Las Américas
- Grundlagenmodul 1 BA English and American Studies (neu): Hauptmodul B Culture
- Lehramt Englisch an Gymnasien (neu): Optionsmodul L-GYM Literature. (Zulassungsvoraussetzung: Zwischenmodul Literature)
- Alte Studiengänge (Studienbeginn vor WS 07/08): Hauptstudium.
This lecture offers a comprehensive and systematic overview of American Studies as a multidisciplinary field of scholarship with Cultural Studies at its center. We will look at Cultural Studies-approaches that address the national level (such as American exceptionalism and the myth-and-symbol school), the subnational level (such as minority discourses, gender studies, working class/Marxist interpretations of American culture, popular culture studies) as well as the transnational level of inquiry (such as transatlantic studies and inter-American scholarship including Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean). To illustrate the different perspectives and theoretical paradigms we will draw on a wide range of American Studies-sources ranging from historical documents (such as maps, passenger lists, court records and sermons), literature (such as poetry, novels, memoirs), visual culture (such as painting, photography, and film), material culture (such as clothing, cars, and toys), and every-day culture (such as schoolbooks, ceremonies, national holidays, and memorial culture). Thus, we will come to understand the forces, issues and themes that drive American culture as a multi-facetted and complex set of systems and texts. This lecture is a requirement in the Master North American Studies: Culture and Literature and in the Master The Americas/Las Américas. It can be taken as Hauptmodul B in the BA English and American Studies and Lehramt. It is also recommended for those preparing for their exam in the B.A., M.A. and Lehramt.