- Do 12:15-13:45, .ics: Termin Do 12:15-13:45 in den Kalender importieren
This Hauptseminar belongs to the following modules in the indicated degree programs:
- MA English Studies: English Historical Linguistics (+ seminar Einführung ins Altenglische| (Hauf) OR |Introduction to Middle English| (Wallis) OR Introduction to the History of the English Language
- MA Linguistik: English Historical Linguistics (+ seminar Einführung ins Altenglische| (Hauf) OR |Introduction to Middle English| (Wallis) OR |Introduction to the History of the English Language (Klotz))
- Lehramt Englisch an Gymnasien: Hauptmodul L-Gym Linguistics
- BA English and American Studies: Hauptmodul A
This class is also recommended for students preparing for the diachronic part (Altenglisch* or *Mittelenglisch) of the Staatsexamen Englische Sprachwissenschaft (Lehramt Gymasium).
This module will look at mechanisms for language change, with reference to historical English (and with comparison to other languages where appropriate). It will equip students with the theoretical terms and concepts needed to discuss how and why language changes. This class is structured topically. You will begin by learning about the most common kinds of language change, such as phonological, morphological and syntactical change, as they can be evidenced throughout the history of English. In the later part of the class we will consider social reasons for language change, the role of language contact, and the development of world Englishes. This course will be assessed by a final essay. Due to the pandemic, the seminar will take place online, using Zoom and StudOn. Further information will follow in due course on StudOn.
Erwartete Teilnehmerzahl: 15